The Iranian operation to release its stolen oil shipment sent the message that the country’s armed forces are not afraid of a military confrontation with the United States, says a prominent Arab journalist.
The operation carried out by the Heliborne Forces of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard (IRGC) to release the country’s stolen oil literally said, “We are not afraid of you, that we are ready for a military confrontation and that we are ready to respond to any aggression against . to react regardless of price, ”wrote Abdul Bari Atwan, editor-in-chief of Rai al-Youm, in an editorial.
The IRGC Navy released a video on Wednesday showing Iranian forces landing on the deck of a tanker that had confiscated an Iranian oil shipment in an “act of piracy.” Then they navigated the ship towards Iranian waters. The incident occurred on October 25th.
Previously, American forces had seized a tanker with Iranian oil cargo in the strategic sea of Oman and handed over its crude oil delivery to the MV Sothys, a ship sailing under the Vietnamese flag, captured by the IRGC.
In a statement, the IRGC said that after the American forces transferred the crude oil to the second ship, “the timely and vigorous” action of the soldiers of the Guard “the operation of the naval forces of the US terrorist army, the oil of the Islamic Republic of Iran to steal, foiled “. in the sea of Oman. “
In his post, Atwan said the footage demonstrated the success of the IRGC forces in releasing the stolen Iranian oil.
“The immediate and successful Iranian response came as a shock to the American government and its military leadership because they expected Iran to take the blow and not react,” he said.
The seizure of Iranian oil supplies by US forces is “the most heinous form of official piracy and a public declaration of war on Iran,” said the Lebanese journalist.
Meanwhile, the US has rejected the Iranian narrative of the encounter, stating that its armed forces have not attempted to retake or otherwise participate in the situation, but are “watching” the situation as it unfolds.
“We see a lot of activity in this part of the world,” Pentagon press secretary John Kirby said at a press conference on Wednesday.
“In contrast to the Iranians, we acted in full compliance with international law,” he claimed when he urged why the US military did not take action against the IRGC troops despite its so-called deterrent presence in the region.
Kirby went on to claim that the US presence in the Middle East “is and will continue to be a deterrent,” but acknowledged that the US would not be able to oppose Iran and the IRGC under other circumstances.
Atwan pointed out that the US is still digesting its “shameful defeat” in Afghanistan.
“America, which suffered a shameful defeat in Afghanistan and humiliatingly withdrew from it just four months ago, is still licking its wounds and trying to live with that defeat,” he argued.
The Lebanese commentator added that the US does not currently consider involvement in a war with Iran to be plausible.