Muslim doctors who allegedly performed genital mutilation on nine seven-year-old girls were also part of a secret network of doctors who traveled the country through brutal trials, according to the federal prosecutor’s office.
Dr. Jumana Nagarwara was exempted from female genital mutilation in the first case in the United States in November 2018 when a federal judge ruled the law banning the practice unconstitutional.
However, Michigan doctors still faced allegations of sabotage for hiding information during the trial and returned to court on Thursday’s ritual. Detroit Free Press ..
Nagarwara was initially charged with meat, conspiracy and blockade, along with Dr. Fakldin Atter, who allowed surgery at his clinic in Livonia, Michigan, on the outskirts of Detroit.
Dr. Jumana Nagarwara was seen at a hearing on Thursday allegedly lying to nine seven-year-old girls about performing genital mutilation.
She was initially charged with meat, conspiracy and blockade, along with Dr. Fakldin Atter, who allowed surgery at his clinic in Livonia, Michigan, on the outskirts of Detroit.
The same allegation was made against Atter’s wife, Farida, a woman named Tahera Shafik who helped with the procedure, and four women who made their daughter go to a suburban clinic to practice on religious grounds. Was raised.
In November 2018, Judge Bernard Friedman in the U.S. District Court dismissed all but one criminal offense against Nagarwara, Atter, his wife Farida and Shafik. He enacted federal law in 1996 banning unconstitutional acts and concluded that it was up to the state to regulate female genital mutilation.
An occlusion test was ongoing until a coronavirus pandemic appeared and stopped. Then, in March, the Detroit Free Press reported that the prosecutor had filed a complaint replacing five new allegations, including witnesses of conspiracies and false testimony manipulation.
Prosecutors allege that Nagarwara and her three cohorts lied to the FBI about the amputations they performed and threatened to lie to others in the community when the FBI interviewed them. Increase.
The four defendants at Thursday’s hearing called for the whole case to be closed, claiming the prosecutor was only pursuing new retaliatory charges.
A court file inspected by the Detroit Free Press said: âThe government believes that the prosecution will issue another replacement charge almost six months after the initial indictment. âWe’re Taking Actionâ and the new indictment, âDefense Has Successfully Thinned Government Cases.
Friedman said Thursday that he would consider her allegations, but said he was considering a new charge and would make a decision at a later date.
Nagarwara was arrested in April 2017 after two girls accused her of being sentenced to the flesh and blood earlier this year.
She denied the claim, claiming that she practiced religious practices for the Dawoodi Bohras family of Islamic denominations at the aforementioned clinic in Livonia, Michigan.
Nagarwara, a doctor in the Henry Ford Health System’s emergency room, was arrested in April 2017 after two girls accused her of being sentenced to flesh and blood earlier this year.
She denied this claim by arguing that she practiced religious practices for the family of the Islamic denomination Dawoodi Bohras, which only scraped off the girl’s genital skin as part of the religious practice. ..
However, Detroit Free Press doctors reported that the children were more seriously injured, including scars, small tears, lacerations, and the occurrence of surgical removal of part of the genitals.
Authorities alleged that she and her cohort had participated in a female genital mutilation program since 2005, and charged them with the mutilation of seven other girls from Michigan, Illinois, and Minnesota.
According to court records, her alleged victims screamed, shed blood and ingested barium crushed with liquid Tylenol during the operation to calm them down during the operation.
Prosecutors later claimed that Nagarwara completed the amputation procedure for up to 100 girls in 10 years. All of these girls were told to keep the operation a secret. Then, on Thursday, prosecutors made further allegations that Nagarwara was not the only doctor who carried out mass culminating.
Amy Marcopros, a lawyer from Daudi Bora Ward, who has a mosque in Detroit and practices female genital mutilation as a rite of passage that proponents claim to contain only minor “cuts”. The doctor told the judge that there was âdemandâ. From the genitals.
“This practice can be sneaky,” said Judge Bernard Friedman of the US District Court, saying that Congress has no power to pass the criminalization and it is up to the state to determine its legality.
“This was not an inconspicuous, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity … it was not arbitrary,” Markopoulos said of the practice of the flesh. “A trip is often required to perform the procedure.”
In Friedman’s 2018 ruling, he said, “Although this practice can be underhanded,” Congress has no power to pass the criminalization and it is up to the state to determine its legality. In his conclusion, he wrote that it was âaâ local criminal activity, âwhich, according to a longstanding tradition and our federal system, is regulated by the state and not by parliamentâ.
Assistant Attorney Sarah Woodward alleged that the practice was still considered illegal by Congress when the defendants carried it out, but did so anyway. She also said that Nargalwara “recognizes that female genital mutilation has no medical purpose,” the Detroit Free Press reported.
Female genital mutilation has been criticized by the United Nations, but it is widespread among girls in some parts of Asia, Africa and the Middle East. The World Health Organization estimates that more than 200 million girls and women have suffered FGM today.
So far, there are laws in 27 states criminalizing female genital mutilation. Michigan became the 26th state to officially ban the practice months after Nagarwara was arrested in April 2017. The law applies to both the doctor performing the procedure and the parent transporting the child to perform the procedure.
Muslim doctor tried again in court for female genital mutilation of nine young girls